PT’s was born in 1993 in Topeka, Kansas, out of Jeff Taylor and Fred Polzin’s simple desire for an excellent cup of coffee.
Four years and two retail locations later, we began buying green coffee, roasting, and traveling to origin, forging the Direct Trade partnerships that have made us a leader in the specialty coffee industry. A simple question guides our judgments and motivates us every day: Is our coffee the best it can be?
Over 30 years in this business we’ve learned that it’s more important to succeed on our own terms than on anyone else’s. And when we focus on superior quality, from seed to cup, our business thrives.
Nearly 80% of the coffee we produce is acquired through our Direct Trade program. Exceptional coffee depends upon great partnerships, and our partners are selected for more than just their harvests—they are socially responsible and environmentally conscious.
We roast dozens of single-origin coffees and signature blends to order five days a week for our retail locations, wholesale clients, and online customers. We were named Roaster of the Year by Roast Magazine in 2009 and are among the leading roasters reviewed by industry resource Coffee Review, with nearly 50 scores of 94 and above and multiple appearances in their Top 30 Coffees of the Year—including at No. 1 in 2022!
Our wholesale operation supplies fine cafes, restaurants, hotels, grocery stores, corporate offices, and small businesses nationwide. Meanwhile, we give back to the northeastern Kansas community and to stakeholders along the global coffee supply chain with various Coffees for a Cause throughout the year.
We remain a group of explorers committed to sourcing, roasting, and drinking the best coffees in the world. We warmly invite you to join us on this journey: Sign up for our newsletter to receive updates from our roasting facility.
Celebrating 30 years
• PT's wins a Good Food Award for Hacienda Bajo Mono Static Gesha Natural.
• Learn about our 30th Anniversary brand refresh!
• PT's launches a redesigned website.
• Yemen Haraaz Red Mahal Aqeeq ul Station Natural receives a 97-Point score from Coffee Review and is named their No. 1 coffee of the year!
• Gear Patrol includes PT's and Bird Rock on its list of the 25 best coffee roasters.
• Food & Wine names PT's the best coffee roaster in Kansas.
• PT's wins a Good Food Award for Tigesit Waqo Natural.
• PT's acquires Bird Rock Coffee Roasters and begins to expand its presence in the San Diego area.
• A rebrand by Carpenter Collective and a website redesign lead up to PT's 25th Anniversary.
Roaster of the Year
Roast Magazine names PT's Macro Roaster of the Year.
Trips to Colombia, El Salvador, and Guatemala mark the beginning of PT's Direct Trade program.
Jeff joins the Board of the World Barista Competition planning and rules committee. Over the next few years he judges WBC and USBC competitions.
PT's begins sourcing + roasting
Disappointed by available options for roasted coffee, PT's begins to source coffee and roast at the Fleming Place cafe in Topeka.
PT's is founded
Fred Polzin (P) and Jeff Taylor (T) open PT's Caffe Espresso in Topeka.